Do You Know The Difference Between a Professional Chef and a Cook?
What Makes a Cook a Cook?
- A two- or four-year culinary degree
- Extensive training under a chef with the goal of gaining a culinary education equal to that of a degree (also known as a culinary apprenticeship)
- Responsibilities that include a supervisory role
- The ability to create and implement menus in a restaurant setting
- Management roles in the kitchen
- Prepare food on a daily basis
- Perform kitchen duties, as needed and directed
- Clean and wash the kitchen
- Use recipes and follow someone else’s menu plan
- Still be at the learning level of his or her career